[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The village of Gombitelli is located on a ridge of Mount Calvary, on the hills dividing the Valley of Freddana, and the Valley of Pedogna.
Gombitelli is mentioned for the first time under the name of Cumitellio or Chiomitelio (term for the count), but other scholars derive the name from Gombete (in local dialect elbow) or the medieval term Gumbus, which in turn derives from the Latin cubitus (elbow).
The country Gombitelli was mentioned for the first time (or Cumitellio Chiomitelio) the list of goods that belonged to the Bishopric of San Martino, and was later quoted in 984 in goods that the bishop Teudigrimo allivellò to Gherardo. The country Gombitelli arose around the castle, about 400 m above sea level, which was mentioned in a parchment document of 1029. In the Middle Ages the castle was attacked and conquered several times by the army of Lucca and in the thirteenth was destroyed; This event and an epidemic caused the depopulation of the country and the formation of a single community with the country of Torcigliano. Gombitelli in 1308 was one of the eight municipalities that are part of the “Vicar of Camaiore.”
In the sixteenth century, some German blacksmiths, following the Emperor Charles V, decided to stop in the country hills of Camaiore: these then began the manufacture of nails, called “gavorchi” (which in the Lucchese dialect means something bad, ugly) since they were used for the carpentry and were not well finished.
Today this process are the remains in the walls of the houses, because scraps of iron were used as filler and lime mortar. Between the fifteenth and sixteenth century, the town was repopulated.[/vc_column_text][vc_galleries title=”Gombitelli” images=”2414,2479,2483,2475,2482,2481,2480,2478,2477,2476,2474,2484,2502,2503,2504″][/vc_column][/vc_row]